Sunday, June 22, 2014

San Diego


Hi Everyone! As some of you might know, Kiley and I are celebrating our 3-year anniversary next week (on June 24th). Because of Air Force Officer Training last summer, I wasn't able to be there to celebrate with Kiley. So, we decided that we would have a spontaneous trip to San Diego less then a week after I got home from Ohio! Here are some of the highlights:

SeaWorld


Since I am on Active Duty orders until July 15th, we get lots of great military discounts. We got in to SeaWorld for free! We only had to pay for parking ($15) and the souvenirs that we bought. I think this perk might be worth staying in the military for. :)

Shamu Show:




Beluga Whales (Kiley's Favorite):



Journey to Atlantis ride (I'm in the front) - this water ride turns into a roller coaster!


These flamingos are going for a walk - they have to get their exercise!


Me and Joey soaring across the Mission Bay area:


San Diego Zoo


Active Duty military also get in for free at the San Diego Zoo, so we only had to pay for Kiley's ticket. What a great deal! Here is my favorite animal:


Unlike Kiley's favorite animal (the Beluga Whale), mine came with a warning:


So many cute animals!



I loved these cute pandas:




Joey hanging out with the seals:


Joey and his mommy on the Skyfari overlooking all of San Diego:


Joey didn't like the goats at first, but I think he warmed up to them at the end:




Cool Komodo:


Look at this wild bird's long mustache:


The aviary exhibits had some pretty awesome birds flying right over us:



I guess this orangutan was sick and tired of entertaining the crowds:




Who knew that grizzlies were so playful?


We found this beautiful little oasis, and I had to take a picture!


Here's the love of my life!


Temple and Mormon Battalion




After spending much more money on food and entertainment then we probably should, we decided to have a nice relaxing day at the temple and doing "churchy" things. Since we had Joey with us, we took turns going through an endowment session while the other watched Joey. How romantic, huh? The San Diego temple is beautiful! It reminds me of a Disney castle. I had fun taking pictures while I waited for Kiley:




Kiley really wanted to go to the Mormon Battalion monument, and I was a little skeptical at first, especially since the one in New Mexico is nothing to brag about. But this one was awesome! We had a Sister Missionary from Taiwan serve as our tour guide, and there were talking picture frames, cool videos, and lots of old equipment that the Mormon Battalion used on their journey. We also got to pan for gold, and we even got this cool photo as a souvenir for free!


On this trip, we found out that Joey loves being up high. Here he is in the tower at the Mormon Battalion Monument having the time of his life: 


After such a long day, we all kind of felt like Joey did:


This trip has turned out to be a lot of fun! And, it was especially nice to have so many discounts for being active duty - one of the many blessings that has come from serving our country. I am grateful for my wonderful family and especially these past three years - they have been the best of my life! Thank you Kiley for being such a wonderful companion and friend - I couldn't ask for anyone or anything that could make me happier than you. :)

3 comments:

Celestine said...

What a FUN, EXCITING, ADVENTUROUS, and SPIRITUAL trip for your anniversary! It was so fun to see what you did in San Diego. The photos are awesome!!

I miss you guys! We look forward to seeing you this week and taking care of Joey for your "date night!" Have a safe trip home. Love you all :-).

Mike said...

Ditto what your mom said! I was thinking of your family as I went through the Albuquerque temple this week!

Kevin Kartchner said...

Kiley, I don't know if you knew it, but your fourth-great grandfather Jefferson Hunt was a company captain in the Mormon Battalion (and for a short time was the temporary commander of the entire battalion).