So I have over a year and a half to catch up and I’m mad at past Kiley for doing this to me! Just kidding, but I’ll try to remember everything that has happened since June 2023. Better do it now while I recollect these events ha ha!
Let’s start with Sam's graduation from fellowship beginning of June! This was a huge deal because this was Sam's last graduation ever. He’s had five but this one is the one that counted for him. I was so proud of Sam for all these years of medical education that he completed. If we count undergrad, it was 14 years of getting to this point we decided not to take our kids because it was a very fancy event. I don’t think they would’ve enjoyed it anyway. It was held in a courtyard near Jules Stein. And catered with really fancy food. I don’t quite remember all the food as it’s been a year and a half but as always, it was super impressive.
We sat at a table with his co-fellow Nick and his family and enjoyed the atmosphere. I found it bittersweet as we really enjoyed Los Angeles and Sam enjoyed working at UCLA so much and it felt like a door was closing. This has just been such a wonderful opportunity for Sam to learn from the very best and he has come out feeling very confident in his skills. Many other retina docs back in San Antonio will hand him surgical cases they don’t feel comfortable with. Sam was one of the last fellows who has worked with some well-known doctors who have since left. we will forever be grateful that we had this experience in Los Angeles, and I never thought I would love it so much. Here are some photos from the event!
 |
| Our fancy table |
 |
| complete with fancy menu cards |
 |
| The graduate himself |
 |
| Sam in front of Jules Stein with Nick and Jiwei |
The graduation was for residents as well, so we sat through different slideshows and awards. Sam couldn't resist making a roast video for the different doctors he's worked with. He took the roast video he made last graduation and tweaked it for the UCLA doctors. I think it was well received! There was only one award for Fellows called the Fellowship Teaching Award. The residents rotated through different services in ophthalmology, and the fellows would help teach them. Sam was sure it would go to another fellow in a different department. His reasoning is none of the residents wanted to retina so he must not have been a good teacher 😂. The residents were the ones who chose the recipient, and to Sam's surprise (but not mine) he got it! He got a standing ovation and was given a glass apple. Sam really enjoys teaching and academics and I know the residents appreciate his dedication to helping them understand.
No comments:
Post a Comment