Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Spring Cub Scout Campout

As I mentioned in the previous post Elijah had a campout in May in Irvine and I got to go with him last minute. Poor Sam was feeling pretty under the weather. It turned out to be very fun! We got to the campout bright and early while some campers camped the night previously. We decided to explore a little bit before the activities started.

Setting up camp.

Capturing the view.

😍




Cute lil' bunny!

All the other tigers arrived! Time to party!

The first activity was mining! The kids started to dig for coal.


 
It was a little hard to find in the dim light, but Eli found a few pieces.



Soon after Eli panned for gold.

 

 

 

The next activity for the Tigers was archery! I thought it was super fun, but the kids fizzled out rather fast.



 

My best round!

More scenic views!

Trying out my fancy phone camera.

Playing games before lunch.

Burgers for lunch!

The best activity: zip lining! This was Eli's favorite.

At the finish line.

 
Last activity: rock climbing! Eli made it pretty far up!

He got the second highest of the scouts but cried when he got stuck
(his friend went first and made it to the top so he didn't realize how well he really did).

There was a LOT of free time at this place. If I have known
 I would have brought more games and things to do.

Dinner: orange chicken!

Setting up for campfire and skits: they used our tent for part of the stage!

The boys trying to blow out a gas fire 🙄

All the Tiger scouts!

And leaders.

Sneak in a selfie.

Time for songs and skits!

Everyone around the campfire.

A girl stole my chair and I was too nice to take it back.
Eli and his friend shared a chair instead.

😭 Best friends. One of the hardest parts of moving.

The next morning Eli and Christian made up a game,
couldn't tell you what's happening in this picture!

Last photo before heading out!

Other things I remember with no picture associated:
  • The skit the tigers did was called "Fool's Gold" where an inspector told all the boys their gold was "fool's gold." When asked later where he got all the gold he said it was "those fools' gold".
  • I climbed the rock climbing wall! I refused people to take photos because I have never made it to the top of one before and it was years since I climbed any at all. But I made it to the top this time! 
  • I forgot a jacket for myself. A common occurrence as I've forgotten one when we went to Sequoia National Park and when we went to Albuquerque for Thanksgiving. I've got problems, man! At least I don't forget it for the kids.
  • There were peacocks in the area! We never saw them but constantly heard their calls. They were especially loud early, early in the morning.
I'm glad Eli had fun and I'm also a little relieved he decided not to continue in Texas. We will definitely pursue other things, but not having all the den and pack meetings along with fundraising will be nice. We will definitely try camping as a family again!

No comments: