Sunday, November 1, 2015

Washington D.C.

Here's yet another post! This time, I decided to share some photos I took while I went to a conference on Diabetic Retinopathy at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. It was toward the end of my two-week break between OB/GYN-Surgery and my Internal Medicine-Family Medicine blocks. What a great trip! Since Kiley went to Mexico without me, I decided to go to DC without her. (In all reality, I tried to convince her but she was too stressed with our recent move and starting school...).

On my first day, I decided to do some site-seeing. Sadly, I was feeling pretty sick so it wasn't as awesome as it could have been. Here are some photos I took around DC. What a cool city!




When I went to the White House, there was a crowd of people around the gate taking pictures (although that was true with most of the buildings in DC). I decided to take a closer look, and I saw a bunch of security guards in the driveway with some important-looking politicians. I couldn't see extremely well because of the distance, but I'm pretty sure Obama was there with them. At least I'll say he was!



This memorial was built to remember World War II. I was really touched to see how many service men and women died in the cause of freedom. We have quite the legacy! It's great to be able to join the ranks of the Air Force and continue in the service of our country. :)


The Lincoln Memorial was another one of my favorites. And it is HUGE! Lots bigger than I imagined! :)



If I had more time, I would have spent more time at the museums. Each of the Smithsonian museums was completely free to the public. There are so many cool things to see in the National Mall! I'm pretty sure this is the original Apollo 11:


In school, I have pretty much decided to do Ophthalmology as my specialty. I have been working with great physicians at UNM, and no matter what rotation I am in, I keep coming back to ophthalmology. There is a really good mix between primary care and procedures. I really like working with my hands, and the surgeries are both elegant and amazing, to restore vision to the blind! I really hope I can match...

My research mentor, the Chief of the Division of Ophthalmology at UNM, invited me to attend this amazing conference that he put on in conjunction with ARVO. It was a great success. There were many great presentations, and I met many people in the field that I am pursuing. Maybe next year I'll be able to present some of my research at one of these meetings! Here is a shot inside of the auditorium where I spent the majority of my days while at the conference:


The NIH campus is absolutely beautiful. I took some photos, so here are some of the better ones:



Lastly, I have to give you a picture of one of the LONG escalators from the metros in DC. This is the escalator from the Bethesda metro station. In reality, this is only half-way to up. There was another escalator we had to take after this one! It was lots of fun to go traveling, but next time I really want my family to be with me. :)

1 comment:

Celestine said...

Hey Sam! That was a fun blog posting to see and to read about! I'm so glad you were able to visit our U.S. Capitol and get some more cool learning opportunities. We are really proud of our future eye doctor!