Monday, October 20, 2014

Duke City Marathon 2014

I can't remember exactly when Sam decided to run a marathon, but he was getting into long distance running and thought it would be a great goal to have.  Every year Albuquerque hosts the Duke City Marathon and for his birthday Sam signed up!  His friend in his Medical School class signed up as well and they were going to run together.  School was getting busy, but Sam still would get up very early in the mornings so he would have time to do some long distance running.  It crept up!

He ran the marathon on the 19th (yesterday) and did great!  We invested in good shoes so he survived without any injuries (apart from not being able to walk normally). He completed it in 3 hours 57 minutes!!

Here are some before pictures I took:

 Sam and his friend (it was still dark out, sorry it's blurry!)
Super surprised how many people choose to run this marathon! 
This line extended way back.

Our Stake Conference was that day and Sam told me he would take it nice and slow.  So I decided I would have time to attend a little bit then head on over to the finish line and take awesome photos of him.  Well, I got a text saying "3 more miles!" earlier than I expected so I bolted to downtown.  Since there were so many people and roadblocks, I couldn't find a super close parking spot.  But I did my best and ran to the finish line.  Then I saw Sam turn the corner and run past me.  I couldn't even catch up to him and I didn't just run 26 miles like he did!  Sorry I didn't get epic photos of his finishing.  Oh well.  Here are some "after" pictures: 

 I made this sign for him and had him use his last strength
 to stand there and hold it so I could get a picture.

So positive!  Taking a little break while walking to the car.


Sam ran with his friend over half of the way, but decided to run on his own after mile 16.  He was able to keep going by saying "that person shouldn't be in front of me" and passed them.  He was able to talk about school and the church with his friend, then listen to some general conference (it was held on Sunday after all).  In the car he kept telling me "Why would anyone do this to themselves?" And I couldn't agree more.  At home Sam was getting some serious chills and had to hop into bed to take a long, nice nap.  I made a nice, carb-ilicious lunch after he was done feeling like throwing up.  He is now back to normal except for the extreme soreness.  Way to go on completing your first marathon, Sam!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Way to go!! 3 hours 57 min, dang...

Celestine said...

Hey Sam, we're really happy for you! Now you can take it easy and check that accomplishment off your To-Do List! Congratulations for completing the Duke City Marathon--a definite FIRST in our family!

Kiley, you are the best wife for our Sammy! What a sweet girl to get up so early and cheer him on ;-). Your poster was great too! Love you both!!

Rachelle said...

Such an amazing feat! I'm always impressed with people who run races. I ran a half marathon in April, and it amazed me to see what this ol' body can do! It also reaffirmed what I already knew: I hate running! :)