Sunday, July 11, 2010

Investigator bears testimony

June 7, 2010 (Companion going to Houston!)

Wow. It has been a very eventful week here in the mission. My companion, Elder Howard, received his new mission call. He's serving in the Houston South Mission, Spanish speaking! It sounds like an awesome mission, from what I heard, but it's gonna be really hot for him after leaving here in the middle of the winter! Elder Howard's flight left Sunday night from Santiago, and he arrived in his new mission this morning. I hope that his mission is just as amazing as this one; I'm sure it will be! His call came from a prophet of God, and I'm sure that he's excited to keep serving, especially in his own country!

So, since my companion left, that means that there was another special transfer here in Diego de Almagro. On Saturday, I went to the bus station in ChaƱaral to pick up my new companion: Elder Duerden! He's an awesome missionary from Provo, Utah. I can tell that we're gonna have a great transfer together. He is in his forth transfer in the mission, but he speaks really well in Spanish. I keep telling him that he'll be the next financier of the mission, and now he's worried that I jinxed him! :)

The Lord has really blessed us this week in the mission. I wish I could share all of the amazing experiences that we had this week! I guess I'll just have to pick and choose... I think my favorite part of the week was on Sunday at church. We had our fast and testimony meeting, and it went really well. There were 23 people at church, and 5 of them were investigators! My favorite part of the day was when, in the middle of the meeting, one of our investigators stood up to give his testimony. Manuel Segura and his family will be baptized on June 26th, and their testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel has just flourished. When Manuel stood up, he spoke of his conversion to the gospel and the empty space in his heart that he feels is being filled little be little. He testified of Jesus Christ and the power of the Atonement in his life. He also spoke movingly of the prophet Joseph Smith and the prophet in the world today. As he spoke and bore witness of the things he knew, the spirit testified strongly. It was amazing, especially coming from someone who hasn't even been baptized yet! Can you imagine how it will be when he receives the gift of the Holy Ghost? I feel exceedingly blessed to have served and taught this family and to see the great changes that have come in the lives of Manuel, Monica, and their two daughters, Valeria and Jerally. I really feel that he would make an awesome branch president after receiving the Priesthood and going to church for a while more!

The greatest blessing that I have received here in the mission is being able to be an instrument in the hands of our Heavenly Father. I feel so humbled and so small for all the miracles that the Lord has poured upon our little town, and I am eternally grateful for the great mercies and the love of our Heavenly Father. It is humbling to participate in this great work and feel the Spirit in such great presence. I know that I am where I should be, and even though I miss being with all of you, I know that my time here in Chile is limited, so I have to take advantage of every minute! :) This is the true Church of Jesus Christ. I know that our Savior Jesus Christ lives and that He is the Redeemer of the world. I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, restored through the prophet Joseph Smith, because I know that it is the power to reclaim the blessings of the Atonement and the mercy of our Heavenly Father. What a great blessing it is to have an eternal family and know our potential as sons and daughters of God!

Well, I'm sorry I didn't send any pictures of my new companion. I'll be sure to send some next week. I want to send my love to all of you! Have an amazing week, and let me know how everything's going back at home! I really enjoy receiving your letters and emails; it always makes me feel good inside.

No comments: