Sunday, May 2, 2010

Studying, reading, baking, eating, apologizing, etc.

April 26, 2010 (Companion sick)
This week has been really great, but we have been stuck many days in our apartment as my companion was sick to his stomach and couldn't stand being in the light. We still don't know what he has, but he seems to getting better slowly. We're going to start working little by little, especially since we've already missed a lot of appointments that we set up! We'll have a lot of apologizing to do this week... While I was in the apartment, I got a lot of studying done, read the entire book of Matthew, perfected my cake-baking skills, ate the cakes that I baked, and did a lot of pondering. I'm so ready to get out there and start teaching!!!! :)
It seems like everyone here in Diego de Almagro also got sick this week. My companion believes that he started an epidemic. He also believes it to be some "gringo disease" that has come out of remission since I'm the only one that still hasn't gotten sick! I guess all my time spent with sick people in the hospital paid off at the end... Yesterday, only 8 people went to church, including us, because everyone called and said that they were sick. It felt kind of weird being up at the podium with so few people, so we decided to move it in closer and held sacrament meeting in a little circle. Even though we were few, I felt that same sweet guiding spirit that accompanies us in larger meetings, and I knew that the Lord was with us. I decided to give a talk on a lesson that Alma gave in Alma 37 about the small and simple things, using the same example that Alma uses of the Liahona and the tools that our Heavenly Father gives us that lead us through this world to Eternal Life, namely scriptures and prayer. I also used the example of Naaham and the prophet Elisha in 2 Kings 5. I really enjoyed preparing the talk, pondering on the doctrines, and being led by the spirit to explain those doctrines to the few members in our Sacrament Meeting.
For the short time we were able to work this week, the Lord really blessed us. I do love being a missionary, even through some of the trials we have to face! It is the greatest calling ever! :)
I'm also excited for the Mother's day call in just a couple of weeks! Though I'm not sure what number you should call yet (I need to talk to a few branch members to see who has a phone!), the call will be Sunday, May 9th from 5-7 pm Chile time (that should be from 3-5 pm your time). I'll be sending a few more details next week, like the number to call and everything. :)
There's not much new going on here. We're still working hard in the branch to reach out to members who have, for one reason or another, lost their footings in the gospel and need our help to return and receive our Heavenly Father's promised blessings. We're sharing the message of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with many people, and I can tell that our prayers have been answered and the Spirit has been poured out on this little town. I can testify that the Priesthood power that was restored through living prophets is real, and God loves his children and desires our well-being; for that reason there is a law and commandments, that through the law we may be blessed.
Well, I guess that's it for this week. I was going to send another picture this week, but I left my camera in Diego de Almagro and we're sitting in a little Internet place in ChaƱaral waiting to take a bus back to Diego (we had an activity with the district today -- turns out that I'm the district leader!). Sorry...
I love you all so much! Take care, and know that you are all in my prayers. I am so grateful for each one of you, and I know that our Heavenly Father has blessed us so much as a family! Let's keep doing our best!

No comments: