Sunday, May 2, 2010

Robbed in Paipote!

Jan. 25, 2010 (Lost money, camera and shoes!)

Wow, can you believe I’ve been here in Chile for so long already? I know almost all the missionaries in the mission, and they all say that I’m about ready to go home! But it’s not true. I’ve still got a good 8 months left, which means that we’re going to get off to work like crazy!

I think I’ll start off with the sad part of the week, but it didn’t really get us down too much; it just means more work and that we’ll have to spend more money. :p The first week here in our new sector, our house was robbed! Here is what was taken: our cameras, 3 of my companion’s t-shirts, our tennis shoes, a little suitcase of mine (that I bought for real cheap in the airport in Provo), and about $50 USD from my wallet (my “Emergency Funds”). I think we were really blessed because they didn’t take anything that can’t be replaced, like our passports, photos (they are all on our jump drives), journals, or anything like that. But, it means that I won’t be sending any pictures for a while, at least until I buy myself a little cheap camera. I spoke with our mission president, and we’ll be changing our apartment shortly. We’re living in a little house right now, and I think we left the bathroom window open. The robber must have entered in by there after jumping our fence. But, it’s alright because we put protections on the windows, and we’ll be moving shortly. That was a bit of a bummer for my companion, who recently arrived from the United States! We’ll also be receiving an extra $40,000 CLP ($80 USD) to replace some of the things that were stolen, at least so that I can get a pair of tennis shoes and another suitcase. I think I’ll have to buy the camera with my own money, so could you let me know how much I have in my account? Thanks! :)

My new companion is Elder Benjamin Christensen, an awesome missionary from American Fork, Utah. We are working a lot to get the work going here in the little town of Paipote. Our goal is to have a ward here before one of us leaves! I know we can do it. The members here are few but are amazing. They are helping us a lot, especially in giving us referrals and showing us around the sector. It’s really green here, compared to the other cities where I’ve been. My companion is struggling a bit with the language; it reminds me of when I recently started my mission! The Chileans speak really fast, so it’s kind of fun to translate what they are saying for my companion. It's crazy how much I've learned in the past year and a half! I’m trying really hard not to speak any English with my new companion, but every now and then it becomes necessary. It is an amazing experience to train a new missionary! We had a lot of success this week, and I know we’ll be having a lot of amazing experiences here in Paipote.

I really do love this missionary experience. We have had some pretty crazy experiences, but the greatest part is becoming an instrument in the Lord’s hands to bring about His work here on Earth. I sure do love being here in Chile and working for my Heavenly Father! There are many wonderful people who are prepared and ready to hear the message of the Restored Gospel, and I sure do love sharing it with them! My companion is also working hard so that he can express himself, and I know that together, we’ll work miracle here in Paipote.

I love you all so much! Thank you for all that you do for me, your support and your love. I really do appreciate it all. If there is anything I can do for you, or something you’d like me to share in my next email, let me know!

No comments: