Sunday, May 2, 2010

Missing the ocean

Feb. 22, 2010 (with Elder Christensen in Paipote)

Well, we're heading into the last week of this transfer! Can you believe it? It seems like just yesterday that I started training my new companion, Elder Christensen. It has been a great transfer here in the little town of Paipote. We have had a lot of success and we're starting to see a ton of miracles. Here in Paipote, there's a little more green than the other cities here in the north. There are a lot of grape vines and fresh fruit, so that's nice. But, the ocean is about 2 hours away, so we don't have any nice views of the water... But that's alright because the sunsets and sunrises are always spectacular -- when I get a good camera again, I'll send some sweet pictures!

We're going to be changing our house soon and moving in to live with a member family, only to make sure that no one will break in to steal our stuff again. We should be moving at the beginning of March, and it will be a really nice location. As for now, we eat with members every day of the week. We eat with the family of our branch mission leader during the week (Hermano Ronny Astorga) and then with other members on Saturday and Sunday. We don't really have too much time to cook for ourselves. In the afternoon for "dinner" (there really isn't dinner here in Chile), we sometimes eat sandwiches with some members or buy ourselves completos (loaded hot dogs) or churrascos (beef sandwiches). Sometimes we also buy empanadas, but there aren't many places that sell emapanadas here in Paipote, sadly.

This week, we've been finding tons of new people and teaching lots of lessons! There are also many people interested in learning English, so we'll be starting English classes on Wednesday this week. It should be fun. :) But, transfers are coming up way too fast, and I don't know what's going to happen! It makes it a lot more exciting than it was when I was working in the office and knew everything beforehand.

This week, we also had interviews with our mission president, President Urra. He is really awesome! We learned some really efficient ways to give away books of Mormon and to set up followup appointments. I've been thinking about everything I've learned here in the mission, and I'm sure that all of it will help me a ton when I come home and have to start working and studying again. The mission really is the greatest university for us missionaries, not only for our investigators whose lives are changed.

Well, I don't have any more time to write, but I just want to let you all know that I love you and am thinking about you! I love being here in the mission as well, serving my Heavenly Father, and I can feel His love in my life and in all of our family. We really have been greatly blessed -- I only wish that everyone could enjoy these same blessings!

No comments: