Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Little Note from Paipote

Feb. 8, 2010 (Translated Zone conference to English for all the new missionaries)

id you know that the mission really does go a lot faster after the first year? I can’t believe how fast it’s all gone! We’ve been working hard here in Paipote, and though the work has gone a little bit slower than usual (everyone is leaving for vacation to finish off the summer), we’ve had a lot of success and have learned a lot together. Elder Christensen and I are making an awesome companionship!

Elder Christensen is working really hard to improve his Spanish, and he’s doing great. The other day I looked up a few of my old journal entries and really enjoyed seeing how much I really have progressed since I began the mission more than a year ago. My companion still can’t really understand anything, and though at times it is a temptation to take advantage of the situation and a play a few little jokes, I have to remember when I got to the mission and how hard it was. Wow, I can’t believe that I can actually speak chilean now! :)

The past week was our zone conference, and President Urra had me translate the entire conference to English for all the new missionaries. It was a lot of work, and at the end of the 6-hour conference my head was hurting a lot. But, I felt so exceedingly blessed with understanding and the ability to speak. But you’ve got to admit – it’s quite the miracle! And, though I didn’t have too much time to take notes and enjoy the sweet spirit that the conference brought, at the end I felt the warm comfort of the Holy Ghost, and I know that my Heavenly Father blessed me with the gift to speak and translate. I also know that it is His bountiful hand that leads us and teaches us in this miraculous work. I love being a missionary!

Thank you so much, mom, for sending a package and also for your beautiful email. I’m not sure when the box will arrive, but I’ll be anxiously awaiting its arrival! It will also be great to get a camera and some shoes that actually fit! :) Today, my companion and I went to the feria (it’s kind of like the flea market) and bought lots of little things. We also got a little camera for my companion to take some pictures of this transfer, but we still haven’t got it to link up with the computer, so we’ll have to wait to send pictures!

Wow, this week was pretty hard but also really fulfilling. I wish I could write more, but I really don’t have any time left to write. Please forgive me! I’ll try to send off a letter in the mail when I can.

Thank you all for your letters and your support. I always look forward to reading about what’s going on back at home – it’s the highlight of the week! I especially enjoyed Jessica’s story about Andrew – poor kid! Haha!

No comments: