Saturday, October 24, 2009

Life in Antofagasta

August 8, 2009 (Crazy lady or prisoner?)

Thanks for always writing and think of me! How is everything going back in the states? Is it pretty hot? Rainy? Perfect? I was looking at google maps yesterday, and I was showing my companion Élder Brandau where I lived, and I almost forgot the street names! It was pretty weird. It seems like I've been living in Antofagasta and Chile forever. I can't believe how time flies so fast.

I'm sending some pictures, first from Élder Rivas in Copiapó of two of my investigators (and their families) who were baptized shortly after I left: Carlos and Katherine. The other pictures are in the apartment of Élder and Sister Steed, where we ate last Saturday. We watched National Treasure and had this awesome lunch as a goodbye party for Élder Hansen and Élder Galli, who both left the office this week to work as Zone leaders in the mission. That means I'm all by myself as the financer of the mission! Ahhh!

It's been a pretty crazy week. We've been super busy here in the office and in our sector, Antofagasta Centro. Some of the work here in the office is just strange. For example, there is a lady who always comes in because she shares the water and light bills with a couple of our missionaries. However, I'm pretty sure that she has some kind of psychosis because she has been telling us that the missionaries have been entering into her house and breaking things, even though there are different entrances for both parts of the house and the missionaries don't have keys. This has been going on for some time, but just this week the lady (who speaks English) came in and got really defensive when we tried to speak with her; she refused to speak to us because we are "too young to understand anything." She spoke with Élder and Sister Steed here in the office, and she told them that things were getting worse and that she wanted to speak with our mission president. She hoped Élder Steed would talk with our president, even after we explained that Élder Steed doesn't speak Spanish and our President doesn't speak English.

The crazy lady called a little bit later and said that she was a prisoner in her own home, that the missionaries were holding her hostage, that she was afraid to leave her house to go and buy bread, etc. She said that the missionaries poisoned her water, broke her washing machine, poured oil in her toaster, and the like. So, after speaking with the mission president, we've decided to take the missionaries out of the apartment and away from the crazy lady, so with only one day's notice they'll be leaving. That's what we'll be doing today for our P-day activity! :)

I'm really enjoying the mission. This week, we've been trying to work with all the investigators that the sisters left us. We haven't had too much time to leave and work in our sector, especially with all the transfers, the zone leader counsel, and all that jazz, but we have got in some good work here in the office. And today, we are going to go and teach many new families! We have lots of appointments piled up in the next couple of days. Yay!

Well, I don't have much more to say other than the church is true! Missionary work is the greatest. I love you all so much, and I really do want to send more things out by hand and to individuals, but my time is getting so limited it's extremely difficult to even write in my journal! I'm trying to make up for it with my emails, but I'll try to be even better about writing out letters and all that.

No comments: