Saturday, October 24, 2009

Amazing missionary stories

August 22, 2009 (Office/missionary work)

We've been working like crazy here in the mission. This week, we've had many things to do, especially here in the office. There's been a lot of moving after all the incidents with crazy people in weeks past. And, it's my job to make all the contracts and do all the legal work. It's pretty interesting to learn, but it sure is a ton of work.

It's always great to hear from all of you! Thanks for your testimonies and your support. I sure do love my family. :) This coming week, we are going to have 2 baptisms (if everything goes well with the baptismal interviews). Erica is the mom and Nicole is her 9 year old daughter. They were the sister's investigators before the sister's sector was closed and they had to leave. We took over the teaching, and they are just awesome! Nicole has lots of little friends in her primary class, and Erica loves taking her children to church and learning with them. They've been keeping all of their commitments, and it will be an awesome Saturday a week from today.

Another good experience was teaching an investigator named Leciram. She is 18 and has a boyfriend who is a member in our ward. She was also meeting with the sisters before they left. We taught her this week, and Leciram, who didn't really believe too much in God before the sisters found her, now has a really strong testimony of the gospel and all the truths that we are teaching. Her only real doubt was why women in the church have to wear skirts on Sunday. (She attends church every week but has never come in dress clothes). Luckily, one of the advantages of being in the office is that we can easily print of Liahona articles. So, we printed off a couple articles (including one from a New Era that I had to translate) and gave them to Leciram on Thursday. She read just a part of the translation, said, "Oh. That makes a lot of sense," and then committed to wearing a skirt on Sunday instead of jeans. Her boyfriend was pretty happy. Now, we just have to help her be baptized! She wants to be baptized, but her family is against it. She can if she wants to, but we have to be really careful because the family is super important, and we don't want to hurt their feelings or offend them in any way.

I wish I had all the time in the world to share some of the amazing stories from the mission! The people are amazing, and I am so grateful for the chance I have to serve them every day. I am sending a fun little joke that my companion, Elder Brandau, and I recorded to send to his family. It is about Pinochet, a military leader and revolutionist back in the 70s. I don't know if you'll get it, but I thought it was pretty funny. Just to let you know, there is a really famous saying from the time of Pinochet: ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!

Well, I think that's about it for now. I want to write more, but we don't have time! I'm gonna try to write more next time and have some good stories/pictures. We'll see how it goes. I love you all! Have a wonderful week, and make sure to write! :)

No comments: