Monday, May 4, 2009

My fourth transfer

March 30, 2008 (Fourth Transfer)

Wow, what a week!

This week was truly amazing. We had 22 lessons this week, found 10 new investigators, and got some really good references from the members in the ward. Also, as the pictures show, I had my first baptism! Her name is Ámbar Nuñez, and the baptism went well. (I hope the pictures aren't too dark because they look really dark here on the screen. But if they are, dad or someone can touch them up on photoshop!) Sadly, Ámbar isn't one of our converts -- it was a ward baptism. She just wanted me to baptize her, so I did it. However, the baptismal service was a great opportunity for many of our investigators to feel the spirit and learn more about the church, so it went really well.

Today, you can see some pictures from the Morro here in Arica. Know what that means? This transfer, I'm staying here in Arica! I'm really excited for that. We have a bunch of investigators ready for their baptisms, and I really didn't want to leave them. Also, I love the members of the ward, the investigators, and all the people I'm getting to know here in my sector, Simón Bolívar!

El Morro was amazing again. You probably remember the other pictures I sent with Elder Cañellas. This time, we hiked up el Morro as a district (Elder Lamprecht, Elder Castellanos, Elder Knackstedt, me, Hermana Daly and Hermana Zamudio). We toured the museum and learned about this historical landmark where Chile won a war against Peru. I hear that there is a lot of tension between Chile and Peru again, so I guess I should be careful here in Arica. We're only 30 minutes away from Peru by car!

Wow, so there were tons of miracles this week. I don't know if I can remember them all to write. First of all, I can kind of speak Spanish, so that's cool. I can understand a bit more and teach more to the needs of the people. I really don't like speaking in English very much here in the mission, so writing this email is actually pretty hard. Please don't make fun of the way I speak. :) But, I want to learn some more good study methods for Spanish. Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

I have learned a lot of patience, faith, and love for the people this transfer. These are things that I will cherish forever. We learned that some of our investigators have some serious problems, but I will continue to have faith in the healing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and continue praying for them. We felt the spirit powerfully as we testified, taught, and did all we could to help the people this week.

I really don't have any more time to write, but when I come home you'll have to read about some of the awesome experiences in my journal! We reactivated 3 families this transfer and had great success in other areas. There are definitely miracles in the world today!

I love you all so much! Thanks for the love, thought, expensive candy sent in the mail, etc. It is all much appreciated!

Love,

Elder Hobbs

PS. Jacob, you have to tell me when you're getting married. I have to be up to date on these sorts of things!

No comments: