Monday, May 4, 2009

Another week is gone!

April 6, 2009 (6 months in the mission)

Wow, another week is gone, and I officially have 6 months in the mission! Yay! And, this week, I really have seen some great miracles. I have learned of God's love for ALL of his children, and I have felt the strength of the spirit working in their lives.

This week, we saw a miracle as we taught 19 lessons and found 16 new investigators! Our ward has been hurting for new investigators for some time, and as my companion and I focused on the counsel of our Mission President, we really did see a miracle as we found these people who are ready to hear the gospel.

I'm sending some pictures of one of my favorite investigators, Karla, who recently moved back to Santiago with her husband! She was visiting her family here in Arica for some time, and her dad just happened to be the first counselor in the bishopric. So, we stopped by (starting in January, I think) and taught all the lessons. Karla really is amazing, and she is going to be baptized in Santiago, where she lives. It was really sad to see her go, but I will always be grateful for the great experiences we had with their family, especially in seeing Karla's testimony of the church bloom and the hope of the gospel fill her life.

This transfer in the mission, we have a focus to purify our own lives and develop christlike attributes in order to teach with power and authority. I think it's really interesting how, out of all of the miracles that Jesus Christ did here in the earth, the Pharises and the people were more amazed at the teachings of Jesus Christ than anything else. And, it's because the miracles such as healing are only temporary. They will pass away with time. But, teaching is something that is eternal and can help all people receive eternal life. We learn in the Doctrine and Covenants that all our knowledge will rise with us in the resurrection. What a great blessing it is to be able to teach and see the great miracle of the gospel in the lives of the Ariqueños!

Hmmm, and as for stories this week, the general conference was amazing. I had the chance to speak with some people in English on Saturday and Sunday just to find that it was REALLY hard. That makes me happy! :)

Well, I love being a missionary. Thanks for all the letters and support! So that you know, the daylight savings in Chile has changed us so that we are only 2 hours apart now. We entered fall, so we "fell back." You entered spring and thus "sprang forward." I'm not quite sure how it all works, but whatever. We only have 2 hours difference!

As for other things, if there is any emergency, here is the number of Presidente Urra: 97420908. I'm not sure the country code... The number for the oficina (Elder and Sister Steed speak English) is: (055)222841. Again, I'm not sure of the country code...

Well that's about it. I love you all so much, and take care! And know that I am loving every minute of my time here in Chile!

Love,

Elder Hobbs

PS. Tell bishop Hall thanks for the letter. It was great to hear from him! But now, I need the address of Chris Okoli. Do you happen to have his new address?

No comments: