Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Eating lots of food and getting gigantic

December 15, 2008

This week has been amazing! But then again, when is it not? :) The culture here in Chile suits me well, I think. We are required to eat a lot almost everywhere we go, and if we don't finish our food or don't eat some of everything that is on the table, it's considered rude. How great, huh? This is why I'm gonna gain tons of weight here in Chile! The food is great and in large proportion, and we drink soda and juice all day long. Mom, I think that you'd love it down here! Oh yeah -- the junk food is wonderful too. It's probably not the best thing for my health, but that's alright.

I'm sending some more pictures from this week! Most of them were taken today, including the pictures at the playa (beach) and the jigante "Churrasco Americano" (the huge sandwich with beef, ham, eggs, cheese, etc.). It's been a fun p-day so far, but I still have a lot of things to get done before 6! Where does the time go?

We have two baptisms planned this month: one on Saturday with a boy named Jan Lopez and one a week from Saturday with a lady named Carola. It has been a tough week, but I can tell the Spanish is coming little by little. And to answer your question, no, the Spanish isn't coming naturally yet! I wish it was and that I could understand everything, but that just isn't the case. I did get to see the First Presidency Christmas Devotional yesterday, but of course, it was in Español. Oh well... I could understand President Monson's talk (más o menos) and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but that's about it. It's great fun! ;)

I love it here in Chile. The weather is still great (of course), and the people are even greater. I know the language will come eventually, so I'll just go forth and serve for now!

Oh, and I don't think I sent a tie to Sean Green. That's kind of strange, but it's a good idea! I wish I could do something awesome for everyone for Christmas! What can I do for our family? Maybe I can send a box that will arrive sometime around Mother's Day? Or maybe I can send some pictures of awesome gifts? Let me know!

Well, I think that's it for now. I will continue studying Spanish, serving, and trying to bring everyone unto Christ. Thank you for your support and love! It really is amazing. My companion is the only member of the church in his family, and I know it must be crazy difficult for him. Thanks for all you do for our family!

Elder Hobbs de Arica






e

r

No comments: