Sunday, March 16, 2008

Fundraising and High School Prom?

It's that time again: time for another post! Midterms are finally over, and now UNM is into its Spring Break. There's really nothing to talk about except how I love Calculus and loathe physics, and how Spring Break is much needed after this week of cramming for tests.

Last weekend, I participated in a fundraiser that my old ward does with the youth every year. Each spring, we go out and aerate/power-rake people's lawns. This year, we had a net income of something like $2300, and that was only one day's work! (minus all the planning my dad had to do...). Here are a few pictures of me and my dad doing some aerating. We actually did our own lawn, front and back, the night before ... in the dark! Nighttime yard work is quite fun...

This weekend was crazy. I was asked out to prom by a Junior girl named Cassie who goes to my old high school, La Cueva, so I had to go! I really thought last year's proms would be my last, especially since I had dropped out of high school and technically wasn't supposed to go even then. But, life has a way of throwing the unexpected in our paths. Here is the amazing corsage and mother's rose that my next door neighbor made for my date:

Here's my suit. I kind of like the black and red, but I noticed that there were a countless number of individuals wearing the same colors. Too bad, though...

Here's a couple of pictures of me and my date and the couple we doubled with:

And of course, what is prom without bowling? Actually, this was quite funny. We had a little time after dinner to kill before the dance, so we decided to go to Silva Lanes. A bunch of random people took our picture just because they thought we looked awesome in our formals at the bowling alley. Sorry, but I only got pictures from behind (no model shots this time...):

And finally, prom. This is the only picture I took at the actual dance. Sorry...

It's quite depressing to see how disgusting some of these high school students are when they "dance" (although I don't consider bumping and grinding a true form of dance). I made a point of dancing clean and CRAZY, replete with intense spins and dips, which I find to be a lot more fun anyways. It's also quite depressing to see not a single modest dress. What is the world coming too? Luckily, the LDS group came a little later (all of whom were dressed in beautifully modest attire), so that is the group my date and I stayed with for the majority of the time. Yup, that was my weekend. I'm off to the Grand Canyon tomorrow, so stay tuned for upcoming posts!

4 comments:

Cel & Mike said...

Nice shot of me working! Okay, so I guess you did a lot of work to! Thanks for the help SAMMY! Your date looked beautiful in the red dress. It is so difficult ot find good prom dresses that are modest. A good source is my niece's new web site is:

http://JenClothing.com

She model's most of the clothes. Cool eh?!

Sam said...

Dad, are you advertising on my blog???? I thought I told you not to....

Jessica Hobbs said...

Ha ha, dad! Hey Sam! You looked so James Bondesque in your suit. Ooh la la!

Celestine said...

Sam, you and Cassie looked gorgeous on Prom night. All your date needed was a little shawl or cropped jacket over her shoulders.

You were a great sport and example to take her out and show her how to have fun and still keep your standards high. I love you!